Traveling to Costa Rica and looking for the best hostels in San Jose?
Costa Rica is a quite spectacular place to come and visit but choosing the right cities can be a challenge.
Quick Answer: Hostels in San Jose Costa Rica
- Best Hostel For Backpackers – Selina San Jose
- For Cost-Effective Travelers – Costa Rica Backpackers
- Ideal For Visiting Hotspots – Stray Cat Hostel
- Meet And Mingle With Locals – Hotel Cultura
- Dangers In Costa Rica – Is Costa Rica Safe?
Many make the choice to come to the beautiful city of San Jose but with so many places to stay, you might be stumped for a hostel.
Table of Contents
Best Hostels in San Jose, Costa Rica
If that is the case, I recommend you look to try out the best hostels in San Jose. Below are some excellent suggestions.
Traveling to San Jose
Of course, before you decide to come to a place like this you might wonder why? Why bother coming here as opposed to other places in the country or even across North America?
- For one, you’ll find that San Jose offers some of the best weather that you’ll find in this country. This makes finding the ideal space to rest, relax, and simply enjoy yourself easier.
- Despite having lots to do, San Jose in Costa Rica isn’t overwhelmed with visitors. As such, you’ll find even the ‘tourist traps’ are not going to be busy enough to put you off visiting.
- Costa Rica is one of the most tourist-friendly countries in Central America, and San Jose is used by many travelers as a launchpad to arrive at other places. Definitely, a fun place to come and spend your time if you are looking for an urban adventure.
Is San Jose Safe?
The answer to this commonly-queried question is quite balanced.
As the capital of a country, you should always try and exercise more caution especially as you head out of the main tourist trap areas.
Costa Rica is generally a safe place to travel, but avoid flaunting your ‘bling’ or making it obvious that you are a tourist.
Be low profile and try to avoid making it clear that you have brought anything of value with you. The more minimalistic you can be in public, the less likely you are to become a target.
Best Hostels in San Jose Costa Rica
So, now you know what to think about the city as a whole, let this guide help you find a place to stay.
Here are some suggestions for San Jose’s best hostels:
Stray Cat Hostel
- ✓ Clean, very well cared for
- ✓ Staff know the area well
- ✓ Ideal for visiting hotspots
Take the challenge out of your trip with the help of this hostel. Easily one of the best hostels in San Jose Costa Rica because it has such a prime location paired with pristine and modern rooms.
Selina San José
- ✓ Safe and well-secured
- ✓ Rooms in excellent condition
- ✓ Staff make good guides
Have you simply arrived here in the city with no itinerary? Then stay here. The reason is quite simple; you will get to enjoy an experience far more suited to a novice as the staff know the city so well!
Costa Rica Backpackers
- ✓ Close to key amenities
- ✓ Room conditions are superb
- ✓ Staff love to help out
Want to get to know this city? Then this is one of the best hostels in San Jose Costa Rica without a doubt. The staff are happy to show you where to go and what activities to try out.
Hotel Cultura Plaza
- ✓ Immerse yourself in culture
- ✓ Meet and mingle with locals
- ✓ Excellent facilities here
From getting a good cup of coffee in the morning to getting directions to today’s activities, you will find that this is one of the best hostels in San Jose Costa Rica for starting each day with a clear plan and executing it. A great place to stay; full of characters and staff eager to help you explore San Jose.
- ✓ Ideal condition in city
- ✓ Has been open for years
- ✓ Free pool table provided
Come here and your only concern might be choosing to go anywhere else. There is ample activities here to enjoy, including heated swimming pools, making this the perfect base of operations when you are visiting the city overall.
- ✓ The perfect base of operations
- ✓ Close to key facilities
- ✓ Travel around the city easily
With a prime location and near-perfect rooms, the NATIVUS is one of the best hostels in San Jose Costa Rica without a doubt. A quality place to come and check out if you are looking for the promise of consistency paired with rooms that are in the kind condition that you would expect when visiting a capital city.
- ✓ Rooms in pristine condition
- ✓ Staff are very knowledgeable
- ✓ Coffee provided is amazing
Start each day with a smile by staying at the Relax; easily one of the best hostels in San Jose Costa Rica. It is a fine place to wake up to and the coffee that you get served here is better than the stuff you often buy in cafes!
- ✓ Friendly and caring staff
- ✓ Staff know the area
- ✓ PCs with Wi-Fi included
Stay here and you can find that it is much easier to get around and see the city as a whole from here. The prime location paired with the quality of the rooms and facilities makes planning days simple.
Gaudys Eco Hotel
- ✓ Owner cares about clients
- ✓ Rooms are outstanding condition
- ✓ Easy to get help
If you choose to come here then you will be staying at a hotel that cares for its customers. Rooms are modern and refreshing, while the facilities are kept in top condition so you always feel well catered to.
Hostels in San Jose, Costa Rica
By using the above list of what I believe are the best hostels in San Jose, you can find accommodation and lodging with a click of the old fingers.
Take a look at each of these, review their suitability to the tip that you have in mind, and book in when you are ready.
It is definitely one of the best ways to find good accommodation, so check each of your options out!
This Costa Rica planning guide has more information for backpackers and travelers.
📌 Like this article? Pin it…
Still deciding on where to stay in San Jose?
💬 Leave a comment below or let’s start a conversation!
Need More Hostel Inspiration?
Hopefully, you’ve found the perfect hostel to stay in for your trip.
Do you want more ideas for where to stay? I’ve got you covered:
- Party Hostels in Central America – Don’t miss these gems.
- Best Hostels in Puerto Rico – Hostels for backpackers.
- Hostels in Oaxaca – Oaxaca’s best hostel ideas.
- Best Hostels in Honduras – See places to stay in Honduras.
- Puerto Escondido Hostels – Places to stay in Puerto Escondido
Are traveling with lots of valuables in your luggage? Check out these GPS luggage trackers for keeping your eye on your belongings.
“Dear friend! Some links in this post contain affiliate links. Meaning, if you click through and make a purchase, book a hostel or sign up for a tour, I may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Your support means a lot and helps me to keep traveling and maintaining the quality of this site for you.”