Are you looking for the best hostels in Oaxaca?
After backpacking around Mexico, Oaxaca became my favorite city.
If booking a bed in this cosmopolitan city filled with vibrant streets and bustling markets, here are some stellar examples for you.
Quick Answer: Best Hostels in Oaxaca, Mexico
- Best Boutique Hostel in Oaxaca – Hostal Chocolate
- The Best Party Hostel in Oaxaca – Iguana Hostel
- Cheapest Hostel in Oaxaca – Hostal Ainhoa
- Where to Stay in Oaxaca – The Ultimate List of Hostels
- Do I need Travel Insurance in Mexico? – Get Travel Insurance
With its spectacular street food and an endless list of colonial buildings, it’s not hard to find somewhere to stay here.
Table of Contents
Best Hostels in Oaxaca
Knowing the best hostels can make a huge difference to your experience, especially when only staying for a night or two.
What to Look for When Booking Hostels
- Location: As a backpacker or traveller, you’ll probably be able to relate to how important location is. If you’re on a budget making sure you’re within close proximity to the attraction or central location you’re visiting can save you money in the long run.
- Price: Cheaper is not always the best way to go when choosing hostels. When taking into account the other key points you can find a happy medium. Try picking one or two hostels located in the same area and make a decision based on your personal priorities.
- Comfort: For the seasoned backpacker comfort become ever more so important. A rock-solid bed, cold water, and loud background music can be an instant turn-off for some people.
See the reviews for each individual hostel and make sure you carry some decent travel toiletries that will serve you well. If having WiFi in your room is a deal-breaker you may want to contact the hostel first to inquire.
- Activities: What is there to do in the area and does the hostel offer any means of support for getting there or even guided tours with a local guide? This is an important one if you’re planning is to live new experiences and make new friends. Taking part in these type of group activities really helps you create long-lasting travel experiences.
So, when looking for a place to stay in Oaxaca, check out some of these hostels. That way you can get a head start planning your trip.
Backpacker Hostels in Oaxaca
Oaxaca definitely needs a bit of time to get to know it. If backpacking Mexico you’ll know that each city has its own unique stamp.
Ok, so, let’s begin to take a look at some of the best hostels in Oaxaca that can really enhance your stay in this marvelous city.
- 6-minute walk from Downtown
- Rooms with private bathroom
- Great value for money
When deciding where to stay in Oaxaca, don’t sleep on this. It is a well-located hostel close to downtown – clean & spacious rooms & comfy sitting areas in the patio are what you’re gonna get if you decide to stay in Hostal Chocolate.
Hostal de Las Américas
- Centrally located in Oaxaca
- Great and helpful staff
- Terrace with a view
A highly recommended hostel for budget travelers, Hostal de Las Américas covers all your basic needs – comfortable beds, free wifi, helpful staff, and good breakfast!
Andaina Youth Hostel
- Rooftop with city view
- Good for couples
- 24-hour front desk
There are so many hostels in Oaxaca City to choose from. If you want to start your day by cooking your meal in the open kitchen whilst sipping a coffee in the sunshine – this hostel is perfect for you!
Casa de Don Pablo Hostel
- English-speaking staff
- Free bikes & communal areas
- Delicious breakfast
Located in the heart of the city, Casa de Don Pablo Hostel offers a comfortable and chill vibe with its communal areas great for socializing after a long day of activities. Hence why it’s on my list of best places to stay in Oaxaca.
Iguana Hostel Oaxaca
- Awesome rooftop bar
- Free Wifi
- Communal areas for socializing
Iguana Hostel Oaxaca is perfect for budget travelers who want to cover their basic needs – comfort during sleep, clean bathrooms, and sociable areas to meet and dine with other travelers!
🔗 Forgetting Something!?
Securing your belongings in hostels is a must whilst traveling.
- ✓ 3 dial combination
- ✓ Gives Peace of Mind
- ✓ Coated Steel Cable
Staying at hostels in Latin America with expensive equipment you must know how to secure your belongings click here to learn more.
La Leyenda Hostel
- Great ventilation
- Yummy breakfast
- Safe and quiet neighborhood
With its cheerful staff, this hostel is packed especially during the Day of The Dead but on other days, this hostel can provide you with the comfort and service you need!
- Rooftop terrace with view
- Located near Downtown Oaxaca
- Daily change of beddings
If you’re looking for the perfect accommodation, then this family hostel is suitable for you! With its spotless amenities, good food, and helpful staff – you can’t ask for anything more.
Trotamundo Oaxaca Hostel
- Hospitable owner and staff
- Large and clean rooms
- Hot showers
Treat yourself to a relaxing stay and uniquely local experience in Trotamundo Oaxaca Hostel where you’ll learn many tips and recommendations about Oaxaca City from the hostel owner himself!
Azul Cielo Hostel
- Free breakfast
- Amazing staff
- Great aesthetics
As one of the better know hostels in Oaxaca, Azul Cielo Hostel is great for tourists traveling on a budget. You get to have a comfy and private space and you’ll enjoy walking around the neighborhood with its great location.
Hierba De Conejo Hostel
- Located near Zocalo
- Free and strong wifi
- Terrace with hammocks
Located 20 minutes away from the bus station, you have everything you need in this hostel – good food nearby, powerful showers, and even a good morning coffee to start the day.
Paulina Youth Hostel
- Excellent breakfast
- Convenient location near Zocalo
- Clean towels
With its central location, you’ll be able to try the highly-raved breakfast at Paulina Youth Hostel to start your day and enjoy a fun-filled conversation with the staff after touring around the city.
Hostal La Cochinilla
- Stylish ambiance
- Big lockers
- Comfortable beds
Located in the historic center of Oaxaca City, Hostal La Cochinilla will provide you with great service with its comfortable pillows, fresh communal terrace, and great breakfast.
So, with the above recommendations, you’ll find the best hotels in Oaxaca to fit your needs. If you’re still undecided, look below at some of the reasons why I feel hostels are great for backpacking.
Why Choose a Hostels in Mexico?
- Meet like-minded people: Staying in a hostel can be a great way to meet other backpackers, locals and knowledgeable guides. Many people overlook this aspect when considering staying in hostels.
- Save money: A great reason to save money and extend your budget even further. Hostels are typically one of the most cost-effective types of accommodation in Latin America.
If you’re traveling as a couple or not on a tight budget, remember that many hostels in Latin America offer private rooms. Meaning you can have the same privacy s you would in a hotel room but still benefit from the social and group dynamic of hostel life.
- Find Cultural Activities: Hostels are one of the best places to get inside information on all the local events and cultural actives in the area. Some of the most unique and spontaneous.
Got Travel Insurance for Mexico?
Designed by travelers, for travelers, World Nomads covers more than 150 adventure sports and activities so you can explore your boundaries..
Best Hostels in Oaxaca, Mexico
Usually, when arriving in a new place I like to know that I’ve got my accommodation sorted.
That way, I can focus on exploring the culture and concentrate on getting to know people, places, and local produce.
See this guide on things to do in Oaxaca for some cool ideas on what to do whilst you’re there.
📌 Like this article? Pin it…
“Dear friend! Some links in this post contain affiliate links. Meaning, if you click through and make a purchase, book a hostel or sign up for a tour, I may earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Your support means a lot and helps me to keep traveling and maintaining the quality of this site for you.”